Wednesday, March 5, 2008

For Some Athletes, Qualifying for the Olympic Trials is Enough

Most athletes we discuss on this blog have one thing on their mind: competing for the U.S. Olympic Team in the 2008 Beijing Summer Olympics.

It was refreshing to read about U.S. marathon runner Erin Block this past week. Ms. Block will compete in the Olympic marathon trials this April (see calendar of trials). As reported by the Mid-Iowa News, Ms. Block has a very realistic appraisal of her chances of achieving the top-three finish needed to make the team:

You have to finish top three, and that is just so far out of my ability range that it's not something I'm thinking about,... My dream was to qualify. When I get out there, I just want to really appreciate the experience. I feel very grateful that I was able to (qualify).

That is one of the most inspiring sentiments I have encountered while reporting on the U.S. Olympics these past few months. And we have to assume that thousands of others, like Ms. Block, are competing for love of the sport and enjoying just being there.

No comments: